FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Custom, Metal Blaster Stands
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Custom, Metal Blaster Stands Reply with quote

I am in the midst of making an all metal (brass and aluminum) stand for the Blade Runner pistol. It will have hidden hardware (no screws visible), use CNC milling and media blasting and will incorporate the Worldcon style badge in brass. Currently finishing up the 3D modeling of the badge and "POLICE 995" plate to cut into thin brass. The detail I want will require a super small cutter for the milling machine but I think it can be done. The machinist and I worked on the 3D computer renderings yesterday.

If the Worldcon badge is used, there will be a small center where the photo of your face, Deckard's face, etc. goes. Is this good or should I stick to just using the arched "POLICE 995" plate and avoid the issue of the blank center?? The badge will be the same size as the wallet badges I did up for the retro wallet set, or I may have to shrink them a little to make it all fit.

The pegs holding up the gun will be very unique, giving a slight Jules Verne/Eldon Tyrell feel to the piece. The pegs will be brass.

The stand will have a polished aluminum base to better reflect light on to the generally dark gun. The base will be removeable if you choose to use the vertical plate of the stand by itself and hang the gun from a wall.

Still working out engineering and artistic issues, and trying to keep the price right.

Here is an early prototype just to show you the proposed layout.

IMHO this will be worth the price (a clear plastic stand with a printed/screened plate costs $40.00 or more). I'm hoping to make available an all metal stand (that can be converted to wall display) with CNC'd detail elements and utilizing both polished and media blasted finishes that will do justice to the beautiful (and expensive) Blade Runner blasters we all own, and make it available in the $90-125.00 range.

Here are some questions:

1. Applied brass badge (similar, but possibly smaller than the one shown) or badge image CNC cut into the aluminum? The CNC style will have a media blasted back plate giving it a grey, matte finish but the badge will show as shiny aluminum.
2. "POLICE 995" on or left out? Does it make the back too busy?
3. Polish the bottom plate for light reflection, or media blast?
4. Mill 5 recesses in bottom plate to display .44 caliber rounds?
5. Some sort of logo, design or text milled or masked media blasted on the bottom plate?
6. Do we want either badge or leave it plain? I can even do text on the upright plate in CNC and/or media blasting. Leaving out the badge would be cheaper and easier.
7. Radiused (light rounded) corners or leave as square cuts (only the two on the front of the base plate really show)?
8. The eagle "Police" logo as used on the uniform hats?

What I need to know, before I get too far ahead of myself, is if there is any interest in such a stand. Confused If there isn't, no harm done, I'll display my own blasters on the prototypes but if there is an interest I'll proceed with it as a project for the community. Thanks for your input.

Last edited by eltee on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:58 pm; edited 3 times in total
svander
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom, Metal Blaster Stands Reply with quote

eltee wrote:
is if there is any interest in such a stand.

Absolutely.

I think we are all seeking a worthy display solution one way or another. A Blade Runner inspired stand, well made with good materials and good quality would be nothing short of a winner and I'd be down for one pending you post some illustrations of what the final piece would look like although by your description alone I'd say I'm 95% vested into buying one if you decide to make them.
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have until tonight to show pictures or this thread will be locked and you'll be given a 7-Day "Time Out". We'll have no Vapor Ware threads here, my friend.

Huh? Where am I? I just had the weirdest dream I was a Mod over at another board and we had to crush anyone who didn't march in lock-step like good little sheeple. Glad I woke up.

Seriously, Gary, good luck with getting interest for these. They sound pretty cool.
nyreaper
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd be interested.
sounds like a cool idea Smile
4yearlifespan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Interested

Any prototype shots/sketches would be great to see.

Yay!!!!!

G
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm down for at least two.

Thanks
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a killer idea. Very interested.

Lanboy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject: Metal BR blaster stand Reply with quote

Very, very interested. At least one, possibly two. Excellent!
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Prototype picture added to post number 1.
nyreaper
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to quote cliff secord "I LIKE IT!!!" Smile
drmcoy
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in one -- I'm happy if it a stand only with no other embellishments, but happy to get one regardless of what you decide to put on it.

Just make sure it can hold an all-metal blaster without tipping.

teckel@bellsouth.net
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyreaper gave me an inspiration. Maybe I can CNC machine the Charles Ennis tile design into the base. Due to the limited amount of material (1/4" aluminum") the full proportional depth would not be there, but I think it's possible to get a pretty good repro of it machined into the aluminum. I'll check with my 3D computer modeler tomorrow. Does anyone have a 4" x 4" tile or a good line drawing of the tile?

The base itself has 6" x 4.5" of clearspace. What do you think about a brass tile placed on top of the aluminum plate to add contrast and continue that brass and aluminum element? Or, media blasting the base and milling out the tile design so the cut area is shiny?

Last edited by eltee on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like the police logos myself, especially the eagle logo on the hats. Just a suggestion of course.

Andy
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drmcoy wrote:
I'm interested in one -- I'm happy if it a stand only with no other embellishments, but happy to get one regardless of what you decide to put on it.

Just make sure it can hold an all-metal blaster without tipping.

teckel@bellsouth.net

I'm using my own all metal blaster (shown) as the basis for the engineering. The base is 6" x 6" with a 4.75" frontal reveal plus a rear reveal, all to prevent toppling despite the top/front heaviness created with the gun in place. The brass detail piece in the junction of the top and bottom plates also serves as a gusset.

The pegs will be milled to prevent the blaster from sliding forward.

For open display, you can screw the baseplate down and use some small diameter, covered metal cable (with black coating or painted black) around the gun and through the back of the upright to keep people from simply picking it up. It's the same way they pack alot of toys and dolls using wire aound the pieces and through the back of the packaging.

Last edited by eltee on Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
4yearlifespan
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my personal opinion - but I would rather not see " Mill 5 recesses in bottom plate to display .44 caliber rounds"

I love the applied brass badge and the 995

Question eltee - does the weapon almost sit flush with the back plate - is there a gap between the back plate and the weapon?

Looks fantastic - soooooo want one Smile
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4yearlifespan wrote:
Question eltee - does the weapon almost sit flush with the back plate - is there a gap between the back plate and the weapon?

In order not to scratch the finish, I was thinking of using a rubber O-ring as a standoff. I am also trying to prevent scratching where the gun sits on the pegs. Rubber hosing over the pegs may work, with a little detent ground into the hose piece to center the gun.

Any other ideas?

Still in the design, conceptual phase. I have two prototypes done in the rough. One is shown, the other is around the corner at the machinist's house. Once we come up with a finished version, I'll post pics.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
I personally like the police logos myself, especially the eagle logo on the hats. Just a suggestion of course.

Andy

Is there a clear, decent rez line drawing of that hat piece? That might be a simpler design to 3D model and CNC.
eltee
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkknight0667 wrote:
You have until tonight to show pictures or this thread will be locked and you'll be given a 7-Day "Time Out". We'll have no Vapor Ware threads here, my friend.

Hey...I'm PROTECTED!

darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice looking piece, Gary. Very nice.
Once-bitten
Banned!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great eltee...
I like the police badge look.
Just curious if it could be adapted to hang on a wall?
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: