FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Nostromo Crew Jacket (and other Thinking Cap Co patches etc)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Nostromo Crew Jacket (and other Thinking Cap Co patches etc) Reply with quote

Many moons ago, i only brought two magazines, Starlog and Shoot (UK soccer mag) and no , i dont still have them, doh, after months of scrapping and saving i placed my first international orders.
The first was for a Spurs Centenary Year Strip (Jersey. shorts and socks) which i got after a couple of months, fast shipping back then and i still have the jersey to this day.
The second was for a Nostromo Crew jacket that was an exact replica of the originals. It was always advertised in Starlog and it was a toss up between the jacket and a Stormtroopers helmet. Shoulda ordered the helmet cause im still waiting for the jacket...........
Anyway, was hoping someone here can remember these jackets and even the AD in Starlog and possibly have a photo of each. Have given up on getting the jacket but would really love to see one or hear about someone elses.
I am only affiliated with this forum so if some of you are across a few others, any help would be appreciated. Freds new project has made me all nostalgic
Tim
clutch
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the BSG jackets, but I don't remember Alien ones.
Division 6
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are threads on both Aliens Legacy and RPF on making them.
The base is a Brit Flight jacket.
The lacing is off a jump suit.

You don't have to be a member to just read those forums.

E...
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Division 6 wrote:
There are threads on both Aliens Legacy and RPF on making them.
The base is a Brit Flight jacket.
The lacing is off a jump suit.

You don't have to be a member to just read those forums.

E...

Tim is talking about a jacket sold in 1979, not a screen-accurate one...

I don't remember seeing and ad for such a jacket on Starlog's pages but I remember very well the THINKING CAP CO. ALIEN CAP, a screen-accurate edition of the cap worn by Brett in the movie !!! (I'm still trying to find one from time to time on eBay, without luck alas... My A L I E N holy grail to this day !)

Last edited by SKIN JOB 66 on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freds right guys, this dates back over 25 years.And Fred, i had one of those hats, again purchased from a Starlog mag, at least i got this one, I kept the patch and it has been on two hats since. I used to be able to buy the proper hat with the braiding at a local Army surplus store, without the patch of course. The store is still there, so i`ll have a look.........Heres the original patch.....

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offworld66 wrote:
Freds right guys, this dates back over 25 years.And Fred, i had one of those hats, again purchased from a Starlog mag, at least i got this one, I kept the patch and it has been on two hats since. I used to be able to buy the proper hat with the braiding at a local Army surplus store, without the patch of course. The store is still there, so i`ll have a look.........Heres the original patch.....

Waoow Tim, you had the original hat ???
Shocked

Back in 1979 I was 13 and my english was, well... worse than today... So I was drooling beofre these ads but was unable to order anything ! (and if you remember well, USD was very strong back then, making all those highly wanted items very expensive for non US citizens... these were times before the rise of eBay)

I was able to buy an A L I E N portfolio in the early 90's, this to say I have one of those patches too ! (The ones you currently find on eBay are made in China and pretty crappy compared to the original ones released in 1979 by the THINKING CAP CO)
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have the Portfolio with the pins and patches signed by Ron Cobb. Got it off of Intergalactic Trading Company's web site many years ago for less than they sell the unsigned ones for now. I only wish I had the set with John Mollo Autograph too. Ron Cobb is still one of my Favorite movie artists and illustrators though. He also worked on Conan, and Total Recall, as well as designing many of the aliens in the Star Wars cantina scene.

I took a look at the Starlog Magazines I had laying around and did not see the add in them. I may have to go into my archives to see what I can find. I do have the matchbook with the add for the hats in it too though.

On an interesting note you can see the patch set in the display case in Karl's Worldcon photos, because the creator of the Thinking Cap Company is also the owner of the Hero gun as well as other screen used props from BR and ALIEN.

Andy
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coolest ALIEN prop thread of all time on the RPF INHMO...
http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=34659

Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy, im sure youll be able to help me. I was wondering why the Alien patches were with the BR items, that answers that question, any idea why the soviet air force pins are there?
Ive always been fascinated by the Soviet space program and got these
patches and pins at a touring display of old Soviet space memorabilia over ten years ago, those pins would fit in nicely. I got the patch on the left as a replica from 2010.
That Alien thread is absolutely amazing, will follow it now with interest,
after some recent looking around at Alien props etc it will be hard not to start another obsession

photek
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love the XLR connector wired with telephone cord coming out of the helmet! propmasters can be so clever and spare no detail (or spare part!). i also appreciate the wire cap sticking out of the neck to look like a dial/knob of some kind.

hey offworld66 - i think the center patch is actually for Russian paratroopers. i collected a lot of military watches while i studied there and they had one for each branch or specialization of the military (tanker, paratrooper, submariner, artillery, etc). this might be a similar case. also the the top patch is for the space program - it says "Intercosmos" and was used for missions where countries other than just the Soviet Union were aboard.

the right patch is from a Russian-French mission.

and finally (sorry to hijack - but i thought you guys might appreciate this especially with all the bottle talk these days) - i was thinking these might be something else we would have seen in the galley in either Aliens or 2010:

my parents both worked on the American-Russian space program and the cosmonauts and scientists often gave us these as gifts.

sorry again, back to regular thread ....
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Coolest ALIEN prop thread of all time on the RPF INHMO...
http://therpf.com/showthread.php?t=34659

Andy

Oh YES, Richie and Steve really ROCK, their project is AMAZING !!!

(Can't wait to get mine !!!)

SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Ron Cobb is still one of my Favorite movie artists and illustrators though. He also worked on Conan, and Total Recall, as well as designing many of the aliens in the Star Wars cantina scene.

Andy

He's one of my favorites, too... He also worked on Dark Star, Raiders of the lost Ark, The last starfighter, Robojox (crappy movie but great robot designs !), Space Truckers, Abyss, etc...

I especialy like his early 70's political cartoons... They're still very sharp nowadays !
Cool
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

photek wrote:
i love the XLR connector wired with telephone cord coming out of the helmet! propmasters can be so clever and spare no detail (or spare part!). i also appreciate the wire cap sticking out of the neck to look like a dial/knob of some kind.

hey offworld66 - i think the center patch is actually for Russian paratroopers. i collected a lot of military watches while i studied there and they had one for each branch or specialization of the military (tanker, paratrooper, submariner, artillery, etc). this might be a similar case. also the the top patch is for the space program - it says "Intercosmos" and was used for missions where countries other than just the Soviet Union were aboard.

the right patch is from a Russian-French mission.

and finally (sorry to hijack - but i thought you guys might appreciate this especially with all the bottle talk these days) - i was thinking these might be something else we would have seen in the galley in either Aliens or 2010:

my parents both worked on the American-Russian space program and the cosmonauts and scientists often gave us these as gifts.

sorry again, back to regular thread ....

Hey buddy !!

We got to sip one of those together when i'll come to visit you !!
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the Yodka photek, perfect for any collection and thanks for the info.
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just dug this out, its around the same vintage as the fast becoming "mythical" jacket if that jogs any memories. Speaking of which,
i recall a story in Starlog about a kind of amusement park "Alien" experience, where you would walk through sets and a guy jumps
out in a rubber suit etc. Fairly sure it was based in LA .Its the same era as the jacket advert.
This book really got a work over at the time, it was pre-VCR.......

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great book. I have mine sitting on my shelf right in front of me. Also the "Book of Alien", with the artwork of Ron Cobb and Giger, as welll as Chris Foss(of giant spaceships and 'Joy of Sex' fame).

Andy
SKIN JOB 66
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy wrote:
Great book. I have mine sitting on my shelf right in front of me. Also the "Book of Alien", with the artwork of Ron Cobb and Giger, as welll as Chris Foss(of giant spaceships and 'Joy of Sex' fame).

Andy

and don't forget Moebius, he's provided the original spacesuit designs (reworked by John Mollo, alright) !!!

I have the same books (since 1979)... GIGER'S ALIEN is a very good reference book, too ! (and don't forget about CINEFEX)

Tim, the "rubber suit show" you're talking about was a Bob Burns' 1979 halloween show... I remember this short report in the pages of Starlog, too ! "Bob" owns a lot of the original props used during production, you can see a featurette about him in the last disc of the ALIEN QUADRILOGY DVD... You can also pick the book devoted to his life, carrer and collection, IT CAME FROM BOB'S BASEMENT (Chronicle books)... Great resource book with a lot of prop photos !!!
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SKIN JOB 66 wrote:

I have the same books (since 1979)... GIGER'S ALIEN is a very good reference book, too ! (and don't forget about CINEFEX)

Yep, Got those too. I have all of the first Cinefex magazines except #2 I think. Giger's Alien is on my shelf too. I have the first Starlogs too, but they are all deep in storage. I only have the Blade Runner issues handy.

Great stuff,
Andy
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice guys. The Giger book was always to pricey for me back in the day, should try and follow it up now, probably nothing has changed.
Thats it Fred, were getting closer, maybe Joan will have something to contribute. I was sure Andy would have had one. The more i think about it, the jacket in the ad was drawn, like you would see on the backpage of an old comic, its starting to do my head in now.
repdetect
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And i have a book about OUTLAND at the same publisher as ticker as the ALIEN one, very nice indeed !...i love this 'industrial' Sci-fi movie !

Has anyone knows 'The long tomorow' a short comic written by Dan O' Banon and drawn by the great Jean Giraud aka Moebius...it inspired Ridley Scott for our favorite movie...not to speak about the Incal a few years later : all is already there, a pi in a huge futuristic megalopolis...
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Alien Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: