FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
My Hero Blaster project still in its infancy

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: My Hero Blaster project still in its infancy Reply with quote

For about two years I have wanted to build or have built a hero blaster that would fire. I knew I could afford the bulldog, but I don't have the money to buy a $2000 Steyr rifle to take apart. My plan was to use an early sidkit and attach it to the bulldog revolver. I waited a year for Charter Arms to go into production of the 4 inch barrel which I thought would be the right size.

Turns out four inches is from threads to end and as you can see from my photos, the barrel is going to be a bit short.

The bigger problem to me is how to get rid of the rib under the barrel.
The ammo housing with the leds won't attach to the barrel with the Charter Arms standard rib underneath.

My guess is I need some kind of metal fabrication facility to remove the bottom of the barrel, but if anyone has any suggestions for gunsmiths or shops that might do this work in the Southern California area, I would be greatly appreciative.

The gunsmith was going to tap holes in the bulldog to allow me to attach the sidkit parts. What tool is used for "tapping" holes? Is it something I could do on my own?

________
Yenko chevrolet specifications

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkknight0667
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My Hero Blaster project still in its infancy Reply with quote

bsgfan12 wrote:
The gunsmith was going to tap holes in the bulldog to allow me to attach the sidkit parts. What tool is used for "tapping" holes? Is it something I could do on my own?

You first have to drill a hole in the location that you want. Then, you use a tool, called a tap, to introduce the threads into the hole.

In this picture, the long grooved posts are the taps. The circles with the holes in them are the dies, which are used to introduce threads onto rods.

You would need to make sure that the threads on the tap match the threads on the screw that you are going to use in that hold. Since you probably don't have these tools yourself (or else you probably wouldn't have asked what tools to use), you are probably better off letting the gunsmith do the work. He will probably have the correct taps to match the required screws.
Noeland
Community Guide

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you're finding out the hard way that creating a firing blaster is all about custom work, patience and money. Lots of money.

And for me, personally, I would not use the sidkit on a live fire weapon. Maybe to fire blanks, but I think Sid's metal is too soft and weak to take the pressure of firing live rounds over and over again. You may find the parts cracking on you. Even with blanks, which don't create as much pressure when they fire as live rounds do, but still create some.

Doc used Coyle's metal kit on his live fire gun, and I think it's held up pretty well for him. Doc hasn't been posting of late. I think Coyle used a bit better pewter than Sid did, but even still, if the gun is built wrong it could fail.

Doc used the same model revolver you have there. He chopped the flutted underlug off the gun himself I do believe.

I've handled and fired Kovach's live fire gun, made from an actual cut up steyr receiver and bulldog and such. He has a threaded steel barrel custom made so he can fire live rounds too, and Craig is a gunsmith and engineer so his craftsmanship is really second to none. Even then, I would be leary about firing certain loads.

Kovach told me once that the stainless steel revolvers are harder to tap into than normal blued steel. I don't know if he did the tapping himself or not.

I would suggest you hit youtube as well and watch the instructional videos showing you how to drill and tap into steel. I have a few of those in my favorites list, I'll post links later on.

Good luck! You're on a journey to be sure!

Here is Doc's thread about his blaster:

http://propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=1222

He posted quite a few others too, you'll find them on pages 3 or 4 of replicas forum here.

Doc3d firing the gun:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSn5Zg7HtEU

PS- you're going to have to cut that hammer up too, and the ejector rod.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tapping steel is not easy without a proper setup. To be exact you will need a drill press to make the pilot holes.

Noeland

Is there a way to get specs from Kovatch for the barrel mod he did? I want to update my barrel on my Hero CA/Steyr. RIght now it just has an aluminum barrel.

Thanks
bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally appreciate the links and the picture. I admit outright that I don't want to do this myself. I just don't have the talent in this area. I really wanted to use my local gunsmith, but after 9 months of assuring me he was going to do it, I had to just get my stuff back.

Doc is really a talented guy, there are so many little things that need to be worked out. The barrel being one, the trigger guard, the hammer, and the next biggie--that damn ejector rod. Even if I wanted to just unscrew the cylinder release cap after each cylinder of firing, you still need a custom made cap for the ejector rod to keep the cylinder in place.

Believe me, I;m not a gunsmith and didn't plan on doing this myself, I just wanted a firing replica and Mr. Kovach isn't exactly taking orders. I'm totally frustrated because I don't really have the talent in this area, but I already have invested at least $400 in the revolver with the understanding that my gunsmith would be able to do the work. He assured me he had done work like this before. Rolling Eyes Nine months later I am in no better position and figured I would get my stuff back in case the economy crashes. At least I have a functioning revolver.

I enen contacted Matt Savage and asked if he would be willing to help me. Believe it or not, he responded quite quickly and politely declined.

Doc, or anyone else out there, please help.
________
Blowjob Extreme

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent - I think. The system is buggy
bsgfan12
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiro,
I think I sent you three of the same messages. will you let me know.
________
ROOR BONG

Last edited by bsgfan12 on Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The barrel of that size should have a removable shroud that would remove the site and the cylinder release guard. Also you could go to a gunsmith and have a custom barrel blank cut to size.

Make sure you read Doc3D's account of making his gun that used a similar barrel. He shortened the whole gun to fit the barrel, but more importantly he made important modifications to keep the escaping gasses from blowing the cylinder covers off of it during firing.

Andy
amish
Community Guide

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirohawa wrote:
PM sent - I think. The system is buggy

I think I got the error messages fixed. Though if the error comes back, your message does go through, it is the person receiving the message does not receive a notification email.

Though, it is all working 100% right now, so hopefully no worries.

Otherwise, bsgfan, this looks like an awesome project. The only advice I could even think to give you is patience Keep us updated!

Tom
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very worthwhile project bsgfan...hang on thight it's gonna be a difficult road to travel, but, hopefully in the end , the results will speak for themselves.
hirohawa
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Email sent. Never heard back from you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: