FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Whisky Bottle idea

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jameth
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:26 am    Post subject: Whisky Bottle idea Reply with quote

Maybe somone could convince Johnnie Walker to release their whiskey in a Blade Runner Special Bottle. I bet knowone there even knows there is a fan demand for such a bottle.
Aside from BR it's just a really cool bottle and would make it stand out on the shelf. For them the cost would be no big deal

The Blade Runner Edition Whiskey

That could work

If someone knows these guys give em a call
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be the cost of the bottle that would be the problem, but the cost of paying off Bud Yorkin, and Jerry Perenchio. From what I have heard they want at least a half a million dollars to license anything with Blade Runner, and that is just for starters. I am sure they would sell a lot of bottles though Very Happy. Not likely enough to make it worth it though.

I also think there is a design flaw in the bottle that makes it difficult to anneal correctly, and why so many of Paul's bottles broke. I brought the idea of making a small run of these to a glass artist in town many years ago, and he said it would not work well as a structurally sound bottle. Doc3D told me he was told the same and more when he took it to Dale Chihuly. That is fine for a decorative bottle, but not something to ship and sell expensive liquor in.

Andy
BeastMaster
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way they could do it would be not to mention Blade Runner and just run it off as a limited "special bottle" edition, like what medicom did with the spinner car.

I'm begining to think the bottle was just a domestic product plastic bottle. Was there any evidence it was ever glass?
propsjonnyb
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was indeed plastic , then were back to injection moulding and a huge cost for the mold and a massive run ,unless of course one of us happens to have an injection moulding machine lying around??! My own best solution other than going to a jobbing glassblower/factory ( not cheap mold cost up front £3000 + and than a minimum run of 250 - which equates to appx £75,000!! I did say not cheap !! - I do know a few who could do it !! ) is a 3D laser casting in pure clear acryllic - any one got a spare 3D prototyping laser handy , and willing to give it a go ????!!
ridleyville
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the early days of the Bottle project i did manage several conversations with JW about the actual origins of the screen used bottle and asked if they had knowledge of it.
I did post at the time but JW did not have anything to do with the bottle, neither did they give permission to use the JW branding. they were not interested in producing a limited run bottle when i asked them. No payments were made for using the logo and none was requested. Free advertising worth more i guess.
I did hear that there initially was a problem with the Tsingtao beer not being in the correct bottle but nothing came of it.

I did also hear recently that the Whisky bottle used in the film had already been made and was part of a ready made selection taken in by the prop dept.
andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be impossible to make a bottle with injection molding equipment because you would never be able the make the bottle hollow or get out the male part of the mold without making the bottle in 2 parts.

It could be blow molded however, which is what I think you meant. It is how all plastic bottles are made now days, and the final cost would depend on how clear you want the bottle to be. The super polished surface would almost double the cost of the mold. Otherwise it will look like an ugly plastic bottle no matter what. Still pretty close to what an injection molded item of the same size would cost, but instead of one female and one male half to make only half the bottle at a time, it would have two female halves and make the entire bottle at once.

The bottle in the movie we see Bryant using is Glass, but many of the other bottles are plastic. We also know the bottles were also used in the movie musical "Annie" the same year. The bottle may have been floating around the prop warehouse for years, but so far we haven't seen it in another movie besides these two.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tip I received from a friend of my Father (still working in the industry, so I will not mention his name) was that the bottles were found objects and were in the possession of a propmaster. After they gathered enough types of bottles to present Ridley and transforming those with various labels and coloured liquids (Lord knows that he likes to choose among a large variety of design and looks) the selection was made and included the famous JW.

Since there was only 2 glass bottles, the prop dept. decided to produce many copies (he doesn't remember the exact number but he's sure they were vacu-formed in clear plastic).
It became apparent that the two plastic halfs had to be glued together to come up with an entire bottle, apply the labels, find the right cap and voila!

But...all the plastic bottle were leaking!!!!!! There was no way to put any kind of liquid into those. So for the entire shoot, there was only 2 glass bottles with liquid, and the rest was a bunch of empties being used to dress the set...and not an ounce of liquid in those. No need to say that during an entire shoot the prop dept. was nervous; if those bottles would've been broken, there was no way to replace them and pour something from them
Gaff87
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info, J!
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: