FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Has anyone done a metal bolt lever for the Offworld?

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Countrypaul
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm    Post subject: Has anyone done a metal bolt lever for the Offworld? Reply with quote

Sorry if any of this has been covered in another thread.

I picked up an Offworld Blaster for a good price 2nd hand from eBay, I've got the metal receiver & Grip frame upgrade & I'm pretty happy, I've been waiting to own a Blade Runner Blaster for a long time but always thought they were going to be out of my price range or impossible to get here in the UK.

I'm pleased with the metal parts & don't really mind the plastic bulldog, the only real niggle I have is with the plastic bolt lever, I know a couple of people have done replacement metal bolts & hopefully I'll be getting one of these soon but has anyone done a replacement metal bolt lever & end cap for the Offworld? I really think this would improve the look & feel of it.

Are there any metal bolt levers available that would work as a direct replacement

The other little niggle is the Grips, my right grip doesn't sit quite flush with the frame, it may be a tiny bit warped (it's hardly noticeable).

Are there any other more accurate grips about that would fit the Offworld grip frame?

I think this is a great forum & I know there is a lot of knowledge on here so any advice is appreciated
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best to contact Ozwepaie or racprops by PM
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try putting the warped grip panel in warm water for 10 minutes (not boiling!), then clamp flat and leave to cool overnight. Be sure to put something hard and flat against the grips surface or it will mark.

Works on most cast plastics and resins.

Karl
Countrypaul
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Karl I think I will try that on the grip, just need to get myself a clamp something I should really have already I guess Very Happy my tool set is a bit lacking.

I don't think anyone else would notice or care about the grip it's just slightly lifted off the frame in the middle & only really noticeable when looking at the rear of the grip straight on but for some reason it drives me mad, ultimately I think I'd like to add more accurate grips anyway but would be pleased just to fix this one.

I've been in touch with Ozwepaie about hopefully getting one of his fantastic looking metal bolt upgrades (as seen in his thread) just waiting to see if he needs to do any mods for it to fit/work on the Offworld with the metal receiver, think it'll really help improve the look of my blaster but as I understand it it still use's the original plastic lever & end cap

With regards the bolt lever & end cap I was just wondering if anyone here had ever tried replacing theirs with a metal one?

Wasn't sure if they were a standard size across all Blasters & say a Coyle would fit an Offworld?

Have a feeling it probably isn't, is it a part that would need to be cast rather than machined? Not that I have the skills of facilities to do either

Thanks again for your help & advice still finding my feet in this area of the hobby, been a long time Blade Runner fan but hadn't allowed myself to start collecting until I got a blaster Laughing

getting there now though with my wallet, cards & Hintha bird also got a resin PKD on its way to along with a Sidkit Concept leon Cop blaster, looking forward to building them (UK customs permitting, fingers crossed)
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry mate, no standart size accross the different models around the hobby. And, yes fingers crossed with the U.K. agents!
Countrypaul
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Joberg I suspected that was probably the case but thought it was worth asking.

I'm sure I read somewhere on here that Offworld may do some more metal upgrade parts inc the Bolt Lever & End cap, might have to wait for that or for someone to decide to cast some up.

think at least one of my kits has got through customs as I got a card from Royal Mail today telling me that they couldn't deliver as I have custom's charges to pay Sad hate those things & it seems to be completely random when you get them, oh well at least it's here, just need to wait & see if its any good now Smile
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm making a Frankenblaster using a Sidkit gripframe set and Bulldog frame, but an Offworld zinc receiver, plus some original vintage Steyr plastic parts (Thanks Stefan!).

On mine the bolt handle will only have to lift and lower, not retract.

I plan on adapting the end cap and bolt lever from the Sidkit, as it's pewter.

I offered it up last night. good news is that it's too big
Can't make a too small thing bigger, right?

Smile

It LOOKS like it may fit with some filing and fettling.
I'll need to change the profile to follow the Offworld lines a bit better.

I'll let you know how I get on.

Karl
Ozwepaie
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CP. I can adapt a metal Sid or Coyle arm to my bolt.
The only problem is getting one.
Not sure about the end cap though?
Countrypaul
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karl, your blaster build sounds really interesting hopefully you'll post some pictures as I'd love to see it.

Oz, thanks for the offer, I think I'll just get your bolt piston for now, I can live with the plastic bolt & end cap for now, maybe paint them, your bolt will be a big improvement over the plastic I'm keeping my receiver black so I think the silver of your bolt will look great

I've seen lots of really nice metal upgrades done to the offworld's I'd also like to get hold of one of the metal sight rods I've seen at some point.

I thought maybe someone would have done a run of metal levers at one time but I guess I have no idea what's involved in making & casting them up

I'm also wary of falling into the trap of spending more upgrading my blaster than I would have paid for a more expensive, more accurate model, luckily I got mine for a pretty good price & in the UK at my price range I'm not exactly spoiled for choice
Countrypaul
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried the warm water trick on my warped right grip, still didn't have a clamp but I put it in the water & then laid it on the dining table & piled up 3 heavy metal door stops on top & .... It worked Very Happy Well it looks a lot better anyway.

Ordered Oz's metal bolt upgrade & binding post today, looking forward to adding them
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great.

Karl
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the ideas thrown around here (and yes, Karl, pics when it's possible )...as a matter of fact, pics for everyone of you.
Keep us posted, I'm very interested to see if things are going to fit without too much pain.
Skin-Job
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll start the build in earnest soon, I'm still gathering the last parts.
I had to order a new zinc Offworld upper receiver. Mine had a small kink at the tail end, I tried to bend it straight with finger pressure and it just snapped off. Zinc is brittle in very thin section.

Still, it's good as a test rig for fitting stuff.

I have a new one coming.

Karl
ocd
Community Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:35 am    Post subject: Yes Coyle grips etc. fit an OffWorld Reply with quote

http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=3913

"Questions?,..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: