FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
Voight-Kampff - Research (HELP to ID wheels on arm!!!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 6:02 am    Post subject: Voight-Kampff - Research (HELP to ID wheels on arm!!!) Reply with quote

I should think that most people on this forum have (at least once) dreamt of owning a Voight-Kampff-machine... I know I have!

If I were to take it a step further and consider someone who would do it on commission, who would I want to contact?

If anybody has photos and other vital information such as measurements etc. that they would want to share, it would be much appreciated!

Suggestions are welcome on PM Very Happy Wink

Last edited by Buch on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PM sent
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've decided to rename the thread, as I've abandoned the idea of having the prop build on commission... Partly due to the costs and partly because I want more control of the build and process. So I'm going to try to build it myself... It will probably be a slow and long process and some of the more intricate parts I will probably have to commission Very Happy

One of the first problems I need to attend is finding monitors/screen in the accurate size. I believe I've read in an existing thread that the size of the main monitor should be approximately 5", and the two smaller monitors approximately 2". Where would I find monitors this size? Any ideas? Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you've already ordered the light bar on top of the screen, you're build will have to be now in relationship to that bar.
Monitor is smaller than my last V.K. (should be 3 inches or 4 stacked buttons [measurements from the three buttons on the right hand side of the main screen] and the machine itself shouldn't be thicker than a regular DVD machine).

8th passenger (Colin) had already done some research on that prop also and had made some very good cut-outs of the final look.

Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I should get in touch with 8th passenger Very Happy

You mean a size-wise relationship when you mention the light bar?

When you say that the main monitor should be 3 inches, do you mean the height or the diagonal?

Do we know the size of the 4 white buttons on the right side of the front panel?

IIIRC there's a general idea that the width of the machine is approximately 40 cm?

My God, this is an ocean of questions Shocked
8th_Passenger
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buch,

You need to look in this thread if you already haven't.

http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=2431&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I think most of the information you need (and is available) is in this thread.

The VK machine is something I would like to have a go at. But I'm busy doing my flamethrower at the moment.

Just looking at the voight kampff machine makes my brain hurt. It's a world of pain... I'm sure Joberg would agree. And he's been there a couple of times already.

Like you said an ocean of questions.

I think to make the monitors work is a mammoth task. Unless you have the knowledge. It's old technology that's bulky. You just have to look at the wiring nightmare in Some of the photographs Tom Southwell posted. And that's just what's in the machine and not off camera!

Most small monitors these days seem to be widescreen, not 4:3 aspect ratio like an old TV. I don't think you are looking for small televisions but more oscilloscope and viewfinders from large video cameras. You may find small LCD monitor's but they are flat!

I still can't decided what the monitor sizes are.

Like joberg says you have to choose one detail and determine it's size. Then work everything off of that! Then choose whatever fits. Or make it fit.

It's a nightmare.

I hope this helps.

Colin

Ash: Micro changes in air density.
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Anders, you have the light bar at the top of the big screen therefore, everything has to be sized according to said light bar (I think these lights, both on top and on the left hand side of the prop, are from Canada if my memory serves me well).

Thanks Colin for the feedback and the link, it'll help for sure.
The main problem with this machine is the size of those damn screens.
You're right, every screen is flat nowadays while the ones on the prop are slightly curved. Crying or Very sad

It seems also that the main housing of the prop was vacu-formed as well as the baffles. If you have access to a 3-D printing machine, some of the buttons (3 whites at the right hand side of the screen and 4 at the top of the 2 small screen housing) could be created that way. I used make-up caps for all of my buttons Wink
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the link and your input, Colin, I'm going to study that link till my eyes hurt Very Happy

And thanks for your input too, Joberg. I'm sure other questions will pop up.... Probably very soon!

Yes, the monitors are indeed the most tricky part. Even thinking about hurts my brain...

Using modern displays is a problem because the screens are flat and wider (why the **** does everything have to be widescreen?!?!). The good thing about using modern displays is that they're easy to hook up using for instance a Raspberry Pi.

Old displays won't be easy to find and a hell to work with and fit in the cabinet... I wouldn't know where to start.

So overall I think this project will be a combination of what's possible and what's screen accurate....

Get it now: New and improved widescreen VK!

Thanks again both of you Very Happy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To attain the same look (curved screens) you could make a plug the size and form of your vintage screen and then vacu-form a piece of transparent plastic on top of said plug.

Are you building a working prop (as in the movie) or is it "half" (lit buttons, moving arm + red light in eye)...etc?
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum forming a fake screen is a really good idea! Thanks for that, Joberg!

At the moment the plan is to do a semi-automatic model. Three displays working, red eye in the arm working, the bellows slowly pulsing, LED's and the the white buttons in front panel working.

I've only been looking a little bit into the arm action. And it will take two engines, one to raise the arm and one to turn the head into position. To get that to work I would need to control the speed of the engines and know how to program sequences... Any idea how to do that?

But for know I'm still stuck in the research phase... Still looking into how to run the displays Very Happy
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My interpretation of whats seen on the left of the small displays..... Any ideas?

andy
Community Guide

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vacuum forming the screens may even be easier than you think. I don't even think you will need a vacuum. Instead of making a male form to form over which will transfer any irregularities into it, you can cut out a negative out line of the shape of the screen, then overlay a thin plastic and just hit it with a heat gun a little at a time. Gravity will do the work. I have used cheap vinyl report covers to form clear parts, and they don't need much heat, maybe even just a hair dryer.

Andy
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea Andy! (2 brains are always better than one ).
As for the graphics, I think that Mr.Webber and maybe Beast or Colin had made moving graphics already, matching what you see on screen (since the small graphics were recycled from the Alien movie Wink

No idea on how to make servo (and the electronics) work for that particular mechanical sequence, but I'm sure others will chime in with solutions.

Keep on trucking!
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With some help I put together some eye footage in a loop style arrangement for the main screen when the old thread was up and running and member here Mark Hev used it in his fan film Bladder Run, came out pretty nicely. Will try and find the original file if you want to use it.

Those graphics you've made look very cool but if memory serves, the best shots of them in movie form are found in the Alien Blu Ray.
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the input, guys....

ETA on the light bar is 8 days from Canada, and then scaling begins...

Using a heat gun and a negative is brilliant! Hadn't thought of that! But Iv'e already considered making/buying a vacuum forming platform, it will make things easier...

Mr Webber, if you can find that eye footage it would be precious to me!!!

And if Colin or Beast have made the smaller graphics and would want to share them with me, I would be the happiest person alive! Hope they're listening Very Happy I'm only going to use it for this private build and with full attribution to you guys.

When I search for ALIEN blu-ray box set, different ones turn up.. Which one is it exactly?
Mr Webber
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the video file, its too big to email so PM me with an address and I will send you a disc.

These are the best shots I had on file, the thing in the display revolves and the arm like extension moves up and down.

Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Will PM my address, thank you so much! This really sparks my enthusiasm!

Regarding the ALIEN blu-ray, is it the 6 disc or the 4 disc version?

Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course screen dumps of the display graphics from the ALIEN blu-ray would be cool too... I would even do my special happy dance!
joberg
Community Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only prob with those light bars is that I'm doubting they had the right measurements when they created them.
I don't know what kind of research they did, but without source measurements (Mike Fink or others) it would be impossible to guess right (that would be a heck of a coincidence Shocked )
Buch
Community Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, Joberg, you're absolutely right. But you know everything about this machine has to be guestimated... But I still wan't to give it a try Very Happy

When I get the light bar bar I will think about display sizes, the choices are limited, so this will also be a problem... I'll settle for something close Very Happy

Got in touch with Beastmaster and 8thpassenger, but unfortunately none of them have done the display graphics... They gave some ideas to work on though, so that's cool Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Replica and Screen Used Props All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: