FAQ Search Memberlist Usergroups Profile Log in to check your private messages
 Forum Index      Log in  Register
The DEFINITIVE Blaster?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
i lost R2
Community Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Location: Corellia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: The DEFINITIVE Blaster? Reply with quote

I haven't been around for almost 2 years and I am trying to catch up with all the new information and it seems I am literally lost Smile

Maybe this is a very old or silly question but is there any sort of consensus on WHICH replica is the definitive/ultimate replication regarding accuracy to the original film prop? (I am talking about Deckard's blaster in the original movie)

I have finally made up my mind about starting a BR collection. At the moment I have the Cibi glasses, the Johnnie Walker 2049 Whiskey and nothing else.. I thought I should start with the 'blaster' since it is the most iconic of all..

Can you please help me identify WHAT to purchase?

Also, is it possible to completely build this 'prop' from original gun pieces? I have a feeling it would be twice expensive at least if I can find the pieces at all, but I just want to learn what kind of a budget I am looking at..

may the force be with you all..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
Staar
Community Member


Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Posts: 720
Location: AUSTRALIA

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome back and thanks for your question.

Yes it is possible to do a real parts replica and these would undoubtedly be the ultimate blaster because they (if done correctly) are pretty much the real deal. Yes, it is expensive and very time consuming and in truth you need to have either a lot of experience dealing with guns or you need big nuts because this is not something for the feint hearted.

There are plenty of threads here so do a search and you will find what other members have done with their real-parts builds.

Regarding your first question, there is no single answer to this because its all subjective and there are many options available and it ultimately comes down to more than simply picking a best - IMO. I have owned or still own almost all of them and I have also had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the original blaster so let me give you my 3 cents worth on a few of them:

Rick Ross PKD: Possibly the most aesthetically pleasing blaster and one of those that I will always relish owning. Its not accurate but it embodies the original spirit of the first movie in a way that none of the others do. Sadly the chance of getting one of his original PKD's is unlikely

Rich Coyle Blaster: Rich and Phil set the bar regarding almost of the early research into the blaster and generally his (later models) are regarded as the most accurate. The secret is to acquire either one of his already built blasters (which are fantastic) or one of his slightly earlier models because the build quality in most of those is second to none. Of late it seems his offerings have been rather hit and miss with often not the best quality castings. That said, it is possible to get a new build that is out of this world but care needs to be taken with your selection.

SidKit: The Sidkit worldcon model (his last) is another epic piece and if you ignore the hysterical utterances around this offering you will be very satisfied indeed. The Sidkit castings are in my experience streets above even Rich's best and while its not quite as accurate as Coyle's, the Sidkit like the Coyle embody the character of the original blaster in that its made up of various bits and pieces which gives you the impression of something that was formed rather than manufactured as a complete piece from the word go. These are also hard to come by and its important you acquire the Worldcon version because not only is it the best Sid produced but its also - mostly - retooled from scratch.

Tomenosuke - This is the Rolls Royce of blasters and you will be hard pressed to find anything better. It might be too clean and too perfect for some and it might lack the more subjective characteristics I mentioned earlier (which might be important to you as they are for me) but its an incredible blaster and one that deserves its place at the top of the pile. The downside is deciding on which model because some are better than others but if you spend the time you will find what you're looking for.

Good luck, I hope your quest is successful.
M
_________________

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Author Message
Talyn
Community Member


Joined: 14 Feb 2016
Posts: 45
Location: Wisconsin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is a Sidkit Worldcon identified from other Sidkit versions?
_________________
RPF: Kylash
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
cratercritter
Community Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 500

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: The DEFINITIVE Blaster? Reply with quote

i lost R2 wrote:
I haven't been around for almost 2 years and I am trying to catch up with all the new information and it seems I am literally lost Smile

Maybe this is a very old or silly question but is there any sort of consensus on WHICH replica is the definitive/ultimate replication regarding accuracy to the original film prop? (I am talking about Deckard's blaster in the original movie)

I have finally made up my mind about starting a BR collection. At the moment I have the Cibi glasses, the Johnnie Walker 2049 Whiskey and nothing else.. I thought I should start with the 'blaster' since it is the most iconic of all..

Can you please help me identify WHAT to purchase?

Also, is it possible to completely build this 'prop' from original gun pieces? I have a feeling it would be twice expensive at least if I can find the pieces at all, but I just want to learn what kind of a budget I am looking at..

may the force be with you all..


There is a lot of information on the blaster in this Forum. Use the SEARCH function on the menu.

Staar's summary in the above post is a good start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
i lost R2
Community Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Location: Corellia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!!! Thank you so very much for taking the time to write such a detailed reply. This is really a very good starting point for me.. Smile




Staar wrote:
Welcome back and thanks for your question.

Yes it is possible to do a real parts replica and these would undoubtedly be the ultimate blaster because they (if done correctly) are pretty much the real deal. Yes, it is expensive and very time consuming and in truth you need to have either a lot of experience dealing with guns or you need big nuts because this is not something for the feint hearted.

There are plenty of threads here so do a search and you will find what other members have done with their real-parts builds.

Regarding your first question, there is no single answer to this because its all subjective and there are many options available and it ultimately comes down to more than simply picking a best - IMO. I have owned or still own almost all of them and I have also had the opportunity to spend a lot of time with the original blaster so let me give you my 3 cents worth on a few of them:

Rick Ross PKD: Possibly the most aesthetically pleasing blaster and one of those that I will always relish owning. Its not accurate but it embodies the original spirit of the first movie in a way that none of the others do. Sadly the chance of getting one of his original PKD's is unlikely

Rich Coyle Blaster: Rich and Phil set the bar regarding almost of the early research into the blaster and generally his (later models) are regarded as the most accurate. The secret is to acquire either one of his already built blasters (which are fantastic) or one of his slightly earlier models because the build quality in most of those is second to none. Of late it seems his offerings have been rather hit and miss with often not the best quality castings. That said, it is possible to get a new build that is out of this world but care needs to be taken with your selection.

SidKit: The Sidkit worldcon model (his last) is another epic piece and if you ignore the hysterical utterances around this offering you will be very satisfied indeed. The Sidkit castings are in my experience streets above even Rich's best and while its not quite as accurate as Coyle's, the Sidkit like the Coyle embody the character of the original blaster in that its made up of various bits and pieces which gives you the impression of something that was formed rather than manufactured as a complete piece from the word go. These are also hard to come by and its important you acquire the Worldcon version because not only is it the best Sid produced but its also - mostly - retooled from scratch.

Tomenosuke - This is the Rolls Royce of blasters and you will be hard pressed to find anything better. It might be too clean and too perfect for some and it might lack the more subjective characteristics I mentioned earlier (which might be important to you as they are for me) but its an incredible blaster and one that deserves its place at the top of the pile. The downside is deciding on which model because some are better than others but if you spend the time you will find what you're looking for.

Good luck, I hope your quest is successful.
M
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
andy
Community Guide


Joined: 01 Nov 2006
Posts: 6151
Location: Rochester, NY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talyn wrote:
How is a Sidkit Worldcon identified from other Sidkit versions?


The Sidkit worldcon can be identified by the larger grip without the awkward front angled notch in the grip buttplate, but instead the more clean sculpted curve that we see on all the new blasters. The grip pattern looks cut into the grip instead of as an added section placed in. It has the removable weaver knob, instead of molded in screw. A bunch of other more subtle stuff that you can pick up if you look close and compare it to other blasters being made today. Sidís claim to fame might be the pewter mixture he used, that seemed to actually expand as it cooled, and have a much more even flow than what Coyle used. Unfortunately any of the sidkits being made today, may be using the new molds, but are mostly plastic.

To add to what was said above, the most accurate replica part by part is the Coyle. How good it looks depends a lot on how it is put together though, and some times is can be less than the sum of the parts. Sometimes it can be more.

The Tomenosuke is both crafted and manufactured, so you get the feeling of handling a real gun as opposed to a pieced together movie prop, which the hero/worldcon gun was. It has its inaccuracies for the sake of construction, but it is a beauty and the product of draftsmen, and artists, not tinkerers.

Rick Ross has several versions of his guns, all different, all short run and getting harder to find. Every once in a while he comes out of retirement to do new runs, but that is becoming increasingly unlikely now. His guns are barely accurate, but in my opinion are pieces of art themselves that seem manufactured, but are totally crafted, and even surpass the original gun in style and beauty. The PK-D 2 is more accurate in many ways, but the PK-D 1 is the gun we imagine we see in the film. A true hand cannon. I love looking at his guns, and quality of his castings. True works of art and quality that I usually expect from Japan, not a lone garage kit maker.

The other replica blaster maker to keep an eye on, is Takagi/Elfin Knights. He keeps trying to make versions of the blaster for niche markets, including the recent run of water pistols. He has also made air soft versions, and simple stunt cosplay versions retailing at affordable prices, but scalpers have been driving up the prices on his work.

With the advent of 3D printing, we may see more and more kits coming out to rival all these makers, but no one has got close yet.

Andy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
i lost R2
Community Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Location: Corellia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much Smile as far as I understand it will be very difficult to choose and I know I can afford only 1 so I need to dig this really deep in order to figure out which one I want..


andy wrote:
Talyn wrote:
How is a Sidkit Worldcon identified from other Sidkit versions?


The Sidkit worldcon can be identified by the larger grip without the awkward front angled notch in the grip buttplate, but instead the more clean sculpted curve that we see on all the new blasters. The grip pattern looks cut into the grip instead of as an added section placed in. It has the removable weaver knob, instead of molded in screw. A bunch of other more subtle stuff that you can pick up if you look close and compare it to other blasters being made today. Sidís claim to fame might be the pewter mixture he used, that seemed to actually expand as it cooled, and have a much more even flow than what Coyle used. Unfortunately any of the sidkits being made today, may be using the new molds, but are mostly plastic.

To add to what was said above, the most accurate replica part by part is the Coyle. How good it looks depends a lot on how it is put together though, and some times is can be less than the sum of the parts. Sometimes it can be more.

The Tomenosuke is both crafted and manufactured, so you get the feeling of handling a real gun as opposed to a pieced together movie prop, which the hero/worldcon gun was. It has its inaccuracies for the sake of construction, but it is a beauty and the product of draftsmen, and artists, not tinkerers.

Rick Ross has several versions of his guns, all different, all short run and getting harder to find. Every once in a while he comes out of retirement to do new runs, but that is becoming increasingly unlikely now. His guns are barely accurate, but in my opinion are pieces of art themselves that seem manufactured, but are totally crafted, and even surpass the original gun in style and beauty. The PK-D 2 is more accurate in many ways, but the PK-D 1 is the gun we imagine we see in the film. A true hand cannon. I love looking at his guns, and quality of his castings. True works of art and quality that I usually expect from Japan, not a lone garage kit maker.

The other replica blaster maker to keep an eye on, is Takagi/Elfin Knights. He keeps trying to make versions of the blaster for niche markets, including the recent run of water pistols. He has also made air soft versions, and simple stunt cosplay versions retailing at affordable prices, but scalpers have been driving up the prices on his work.

With the advent of 3D printing, we may see more and more kits coming out to rival all these makers, but no one has got close yet.

Andy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
rickhoward
Community Member


Joined: 03 Jul 2016
Posts: 115
Location: Midwestopia, USA

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came to think early on that what makes for the definitive blaster is highly dependent on what you want your experience with the replica to be.

I really appreciate the great job this thread has done articulating the subtleties/nuances between the models. My thanks to Mark, Andy, and everyone else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
i lost R2
Community Member


Joined: 11 Mar 2009
Posts: 13
Location: Corellia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much again everyone for your invaluable contributions..

When I check the topic below, I can see some of the blasters you mentioned but not Tomensuke.. Does it also go by another name?

http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=158

Also, do you think it is better to purchase assembled/finished blasters? Is ther any version/model/brand I should avoid while searching on ebay?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Author Message
cratercritter
Community Member


Joined: 15 Jul 2009
Posts: 500

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i lost R2 wrote:
Thank you very much again everyone for your invaluable contributions..

When I check the topic below, I can see some of the blasters you mentioned but not Tomensuke.. Does it also go by another name?

http://www.propsummit.com/viewtopic.php?t=158

Also, do you think it is better to purchase assembled/finished blasters? Is ther any version/model/brand I should avoid while searching on ebay?


Spell Tomenosuke correctly and you will find heaps of info on it using search engines on this Forum and other Forums like the RPF Replica Prop Forum etc.

Both unassembled and assembled blasters are good. It is a matter of personal preference.

You do not need to avoid any models or brands on ebay. Buy whatever suits your taste and your wallet. As always when shopping on the internet, buyer beware of course....ask seller questions if necessary and check seller feedback etc. A no brainer really.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Blade Runner Blaster Information and Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group
BBTech Template by © 2003-04 MDesign

Problems Registering Contact: help@propsummit.com